Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Amazon Book Listing

A few weeks ago I found this post on one of my favorite teacher blogs, Teaching With a Mountain View. I was just finishing up my last novels for the year with my kiddos and was looking for a fairly simple, but still engaging project to wrap them up. When I read about how Mary used the Amazon listing format to have her students think critically about their novel, I knew I had to try it.

At the time, I was reading two different novels with two different groups of students. My students who were reading above grade level read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. My on and below grade levels kiddos were reading Wonder. I wanted all my students to be challenged, but also working at a level that was appropriate for them, so I create a differentiated version.


I allowed students to use this template or create their own based on the format they were given. In hindsight, I think I'll have the kids create their own next year. My borders are cute, but definitely limit the amount of space they have to write. Above is a sample from the template. The student below created her own!


I'm so bummed that I forgot to take pictures of my differentiated students' work! Their version still required critical thinking, but focused more on levels one and two on the DOK- recalling important plot events, citing significant quotes, etc.

My kiddos loved this, because they knew it connected the real world concept of Amazon listings with a book that they felt they were experts on! Want to try this for yourself? Download both the standard and differentiated versions for free here!

XO Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

var bs_pinButtonPos = "center";